Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Day 1 April trip to St Paul MN

Elizabeth's Graduation from Metro State in April in Minnesota.  An April Graduation! Whoever came up with that idea was Crazy!  Winter this year did not want to let Spring in. Snowstorms were blowing thru the upper midwest into the eastern states rampantly just 2 weeks ago. With freezing ice and Temps in the teens. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It was my youngest daughter graduating from college and I wanted to be there. What an accomplishment.

Ok so I started packing. 5 turtle neck tops, warm pullover sweaters, a couple of warm Sweatshirts. My jacket, boots, a warm robe, socks.  I thru in a few long-sleeved Light T's just in case it was warm enough.  I'm ready!  Took Bella to the groomer's to get her nails clipped, her coat shampooed and the hair around her face and eyes trimmed. I asked them not to cut her hair tho, she wasn't used to Minnesota weather and I did not want to have a frozen puppy-sicle on my hands if the weather was truly frosty. Lol.

We left early Friday  Morning on April 20th. My plan was to drive until 8pm or within a 7 - 8 hour ride left to St Paul.  Knowing that the sunset came about 8:30 pm. Since this was my 1st long drive since recovering from back surgery last August I wasn't sure if this was a viable goal - would I still be able to make it in 2 days or would I need a third?

I drove 500+ miles Friday. Stopping often for breaks, (like every 2 hrs or so), giving myself and Bella potty breaks and time to stretch our legs.  This was Bella's 1st long-long road trip. She had been with me to go to Nancy's house in GA but that was only a 4 1/2 hr ride with one break in between.  I stopped at 7pm for the night in Indian only 7 1/2 hr road time from St Paul.

Bella's did well her 1st night in a hotel. At first she wanted to bark at every noise she heard outside our door. With reminders to keep quite she settle down and got comfortable in our room.  It was a memorable 1st day.

I had intended to go straight Thru TN on I 40 then shoot up into Illinois to stop at my favorite hotel in Bloomington - Normal Illinois.  Instead I choose a route that was deemed shorter bt GOOGLE MAPS. (Stupid Choice) up thru Kentucky and Indiana and CHICAGO -  (a Costly Choice).  It cost me almost $20 in tolls after getting lost on the Chicago toll roads. It seems like all the roads surrounding Chicago are toll-roads. GRRRRRRRRRRRR.  "I know better"! Ha Ha !!!!!!!!!!! NOT!


No comments:

Post a Comment